Sunday, April 18, 2010

DVR & Advertising

I came across this Q&A in Parade magazine...

Q: I record TV shows on my DVR to watch when I have the time. Does not watching shows "live" affect their ratings?

A: "Anytime a viewer watches a television program, whether it's live or played back on a DVR, it is included in the TV ratings," Gary Holmes, a spokesman for The Nielsen Company, tell us--speaking of the select group of viewers Nielsen tracks. However, when a show is viewed matters to advertisers. "It's more valuable to them if you watch a commercial close to when it was originally aired," Holmes says.

It makes me wonder whether television advertising is going to slowly dissipate due to DVR and fast-forwarding features. It'd be a shame because (as if you couldn't tell with my recent posts..) I love watching commercials and they are definitely an effective way to get people's attention, if they watched...

No comments:

Post a Comment